Expansion of coal mining projects
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) disposed of the application challenging the validity of office memorandum (April 11, 2022 and May 7, 2022) issued by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change. Core processes for grant of environment clearance (EC) for expansion of coal mining projects in terms of environment impact assessment (EIA) notification dated, September 14, 2006 have been diluted.
The NGT, October 18, 2022 said that "OMs will not preclude challenge to individual EC's for expansion if it can be shown that exemption from public hearing or EIA/EMP is not justified and prejudicial to the environment in any manner."
- Compliance report filed by Singareni Collieries, Khammam district, Telangana, 06/10/2021
- Report on EC violations by CCL in Piparwar open cast project, Jharkhand, 14/09/2020
- Summary of arguments for challenging the EC granted for expansion of Dipka Open Cast Coal Mines, Chhattisgarh, 07/08/2020
- Question raised in Rajya Sabha on Illegal Land Acquisition and Mining, 01/07/2019
- Western Coalfields gets green nod for Rs 263cr expansion project