Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding ground water contamination in the State of Punjab, 30/10/2015
Order of the National Green Tribunal in the matter of Baldev Singh & Ors. Vs. State of Punjab & Ors. dated 30/10/2015 regarding ground water contamination in the State of Punjab.
In the State of Punjab ground water is the main source of water supply either for agricultural or even for domestic consumption. If contaminated water is used as a source of irrigation for the crop, Punjab being basically an agricultural state it would enter into the food chain causing again serious environmental and human health hazards.
In view of the NGT directs that samples will be collected and analysed by a team consisting of the followings:
1. Senior officer from the Central Pollution Control Board.
2. Senior officer from the Central Ground Water Authority.
3. Professor from I.I.T, Chandigarh
4. Professor from Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh.
5. Professor nominated by College of Agriculture, Solan, State of Himachal Pradesh
6. Medical Superintendent, PGI, Chandigarh
7. Officers of the Punjab Pollution Control Board.
8. Chief Engineer, Irrigation.
9. Superintendent Engineer from the Department of Water Supply and Sanitation
10. Officer from the Geological Survey of India.