kandla mishap: 15 labourers were killed on June 29, 2006, at the Kandla port in Gujarat, when a Cyprus flag ship M V Pontonostos collided with the Anchor Handling Barge. The accident occurred in the navigational channel, where the ship hit the barge, which had 25 labourers on it. The barge belonged to Jaishu Shipping Pvt Ltd owned by Pritambhai Kevalramani. He has filed a complaint in the Kandla police station and also petitioned the Gujarat High Court seeking compensation for damages and for the dead workers. Meanwhile, authorities have detained the ship.
transport policy: The European Union (EU) recently came out with a review paper on its transport policy. The review, says EU, needs to reduce transport congestion, energy use and emissions, and its dependency on roads by shifting to rail. Transport accounts for 30 per cent of the total energy consumption and 71 per cent of total oil consumption in the EU. Road accounts for 60 per cent of total oil consumption. The review puts emphasis on intelligent transport systems, where ships, trucks, cars and trains will have the same sophisticated communication and navigation tools as aircraft.
lady docks: The Gujarat Pollution Control Board will soon make a detailed inspection of the Norwegian liner, Blue Lady, to check whether it is carrying any toxic material. The liner entered Indian waters on June 30, 2006, and at present docks at Pipavav port anchorage in Gujarat as it awaits clearance. The ship is to be dismantled at the world's largest ship-breaking yard in Alang, Gujarat. Environmental groups say the ship contains 900 tonnes of asbestos and other toxic materials. On June 5, 2006, the Supreme Court had given the ship permission to enter Indian waters but only on the condition that it is declared safe by experts.
- COVID-19 and economic inequality: short-term impacts with long-term consequences
- NDCs and renewable energy targets in 2021: are we on the right path to a climate-safe future?
- Towards a multisectoral action plan for sustainable plastic management in Bangladesh
- Non-state and subnational climate action in India: an overview of the current landscape, emission reduction potential and implementation
- Participatory management and sustainable use of groundwater: a review of the Andhra Pradesh Farmer-Managed Groundwater Systems project in India
- Status report of bio mining legacy waste at Kureepuzha, Kollam, Kerala, 14/12/2021