Committee constituted for the restoration of Sai river, Uttar Pradesh
Order of the National Green Tribunal in the matter of T. S. Singh Vs State of Uttar Pradesh dated 14/09/2022.
The National Green Tribunal (NGT), September 14, 2022 directed the constitution of a nine member Monitoring Committee to come up with an action plan for prevention and remediation of pollution of Sai river so as to achieve tangible results within six months.
The action plan would include operationalization of sewage treatment plants (STP); interception and diversion of drains to the respective STPs to be set up and commissioned; maintaining floodplain zones of rivers; preventing encroachment, ensuring plantation and desilting of the rivers and other associated activities.
The Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) report to the NGT said that untreated sewage to the extent of more than 50 MLD is being discharged into the drains. The compensation works out to atleast Rs. 100 crores, which would include the amount of Rs. 36.5 crores levied by the Uttar Pradesh Pollution Control Board which has not yet been paid.
An application filed before the NGT, July 25, 2019 said that the state of Uttar Pradesh, particularly those in districts Pratapgarh, Rai Bareily and Jaunpur had failed in their duty to prevent discharge of untreated sewage into river Sai.
- Report filed by the Uttar Pradesh Pollution Control Board on discharge of sewage and solid waste into Katahal drain connected to river Ganga, Ballia district, Uttar Pradesh, 24/03/2022
- Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding chromium dumps at Rania Kanpur Dehat and Rakhi Mandi, Kanpur Nagar, Uttar Pradesh, 16/07/2020
- Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding polluting thermal power plants in Singrauli and Sonebhadra, 11/10/2019
- Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding Yamuna river pollution, 11/09/2019
- Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding pollution by thermal power stations operating in the Districts of Singrauli and Sonebhadra, 24/05/2019
- Judgement of the National Green Tribunal regarding mechanical mining in Distric Gonda, Uttar Pradesh, 16/05/2017