The state of food insecurity in the world 2012
This 2012 edition of the state of food insecurity presents new estimates of undernourishment & shows that progress in reducing hunger has been better but the number of people suffering from chronic undernourishment is still high & eradication of hunger remains a major global challenge.
The State of Food Insecurity in the World 2012 presents new estimates of undernourishment based on a revised and improved methodology. The new estimates show that progress in reducing hunger during the past 20 years has been better than previously believed, and that, given renewed efforts, it may be possible to reach the MDG hunger target at the global level by 2015. However, the number of people suffering from chronic undernourishment is still unacceptably high, and eradication of hunger remains a major global challenge. This year’s report also discusses the role of economic growth in reducing undernourishment. Sustainable agricultural growth is often effective in reaching the poor because most of the poor and hungry live in rural areas and depend on agriculture for a significant part of their livelihoods. However, growth will not necessarily result in better nutrition for all. Policies and programmes that will ensure “nutrition-sensitive” growth include supporting increased dietary diversity, improving access to safe drinking water, sanitation and health services and educating consumers regarding adequate nutrition and child care practices.
Opinion: Pitfalls of a uniform food regime.
Feature: Beauty & beast of malnutrition.
Report: Global food security index 2012.
Report: State of food and agriculture.
Report: The food security system.
Report: Livestock in food security.
- The State of Food and Agriculture 2015: social protection and agriculture- breaking the cycle of rural poverty
- Global food policy report 2013
- World resources report 2013–2014: creating a sustainable food future
- Global hunger index 2013: the challenge of hunger - building resilience to achieve food and nutrition security
- The road to good nutrition: a global perspective
- World economic and social survey 2013: sustainable development challenges