The Biotechnology Regulatory Authority of India Bill, 2013
This controversial Biotechnology Regulatory Authority of India (BRAI) bill has been introduced in the Lok Sabha amid huge protests by opposition parties. It has been in controversy due to its proposal of an easy single window approval mechanism for GM crops in India.
A Bill to promote the safe use of modern biotechnology by enhancing the effectiveness and efficiency of regulatory procedures and provide for establishment of the Biotechnology Regulatory Authority of India to regulate the research, transport, import, manufacture and use of organisms and products of modern biotechnology and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
Press release: Govt tables deeply flawed BRAI Bill.
In-Parliament: Cultivation of genetically modified food crops.
Feature: Labels must for GM food.
In-Parliament: GM crops - issues and challenges in the context of India.
- Over 4 lakh citizens demand withdrawal of Biotech bill
- Farmers want state govt to oppose biotechnology bill
- Campaign launched against biotech Bill
- A joint campaign against GM crops, Biotechnology Bill
- BRAI bill offered for public consultation, crop circles appear opposing the bill
- Withdraw Biotechnology Regulatory Authority Bill, says D. Raja