CSE report card on the thermal power sector

The average score of the coal- and lignite-based thermal power sector is a low 23 per cent. Even the highest score is an average 51 per cent; in comparison, a global best plant would have received 80 per cent. Of the 47 power plants rated, four fall under the Three Leaves category, scoring between 40 and 60 per cent. Seven companies get Two Leaves (30-40 per cent), and 16 One Leaf (20-30 per cent). A disheartening 20 plants get less than 20 per cent. A number of them simply show a disregard of good operating practices. The bottom few are mostly old plants. None of the plants qualify for the top Five Leaves Award or the next Four Leaves.

Related Content