2016 joint report on Multilateral Development Banks’ climate finance
The world’s six largest multilateral development banks (MDBs) continued to make a strong contribution to the global climate challenge in 2016, increasing their climate financing in developing countries and emerging economies last year to $27.4 billion from $25 billion in 2015. Of this total, $21.2 billion or 77% was dedicated to climate mitigation finance, with the remaining 23% devoted to climate adaptation. Combined with additional cofinancing from other investors, the total amount of finance mobilized for climate action reached $65.3 billion last year. The MDBs have reported jointly on climate finance since 2011. Collectively, the banks have committed over $158 billion in climate finance during the past 6 years. The latest MDB climate finance figures are detailed in the 2016 Joint Report on Multilateral Development Banks’ Climate Finance, combining data from the African Development Bank, the Asian Development Bank (ADB), the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the European Investment Bank, the Inter-American Development Bank Group, and the World Bank Group.